Sunday, August 4, 2013

Rent A Kid

There was a movie, sometime in the mid-1990s called "Rent-A-Kid." The premise of the movie is to rent kids from the local orphanage out to families, I guess to "test run" them before adopting them. I vaguely remember watching this movie, but I remember at the time I thought that was stupid. Why on Earth would you want to rent a kid? I mean, you either wanted kids or you didn't.

HOLY COW it is SUCH a good idea!!!

Trey and I are now at an age where family and friends are having children and those children are having birthday parties. We are even invited to them! In the last two years, I have been invited to so many kid birthday parties. It is amazing to me how many.

So, today, we were at the birthday party of the little girl I babysit, who just turned two. No joke, we were the ONLY ones there without kids. Yes, some parents are baby babies, but they all had kids. All of them.

Then, I thought back to the other parties we have gone to. For probably 98% of them we have, again, been the only people without children.

And let me tell you, it's a little awkward. I don't have any "my kid did/said/pooped the funniest thing the other day" stories. I don't commiserate about toilet training, changing clothes every couple of ours, or talking about why my child has started biting the dog.

Don't get me wrong; I absolutely love that I get to be a part of this. It's fun, I get cake and the kids are just so adorable.

But...I wish there was something like "Rent a Kid" that allowed people (background checks, of course) to rent a child for a couple of hours for events, like birthday parties where they are going to be only childless person there. Trey and I joked about this on the way home from the party, and of course a company like this would never, ever happen. But still...the idea is appealing.

We also "joked" about borrowing our oldest niece for things....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Leave us a comment! We love reading them!