Sunday, October 21, 2012

Harley

A very big part of our life is our baby puppy, Harley. Now, Harley is not, in fact, a baby puppy. She just turned 4 years old this past August, leaving puppy-dom. However, she is the sweetest, happiest girl I have ever known.

Harley came to us in a roundabout way. While I was in grad school she wandered up to a friend's house. He let her in, wanting to give her some food and water, and she hopped up on the couch like she owned the house. Incidentally, I wasn't going to take her at first. I was living in a place that didn't allow dogs, but I decided around the end of the year to move out. The place I moved to allowed dogs, but I couldn't take Harley home for the holidays. A friend took care of her for me until we came back for spring semester. 

She was a really scared puppy for awhile. She hated cars and didn't like some people for the longest time. Whenever I would walk her I would have to carry her around the cars parked on the side of the road. Eventually, I would put her in the car once a day and we would either drive around aimlessly or go to the doggie park or go to a friend's house. After a week of this she grew to love the car and now when she hears the word 'car' she runs to the door and barks at us as if to say "Come on! Hurry up!" 

Harley loves cuddling with us. All we have to do is let her up on the couch or on the bed with us and she snuggles up to one of us (she loves laying on my stomach and on Trey's lap) and in a few minutes she's fast asleep. 

While we were gone in Savannah we kept talking about how much she would love walking around the squares and sitting with us as we ate outdoors at restaurants. We really missed her!


Here's a good picture of Harley last winter at our house in Norfolk, Va. Incidentally, as I'm writing this, she is wearing the same sweater!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Leave us a comment! We love reading them!